Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Landscape Oil Study


I have some educational illustration work to do for Good Neighbor Press, so I'll be a little short on time for the next couple of weeks. In addition, I've set up a new schedule for my studio, which I call Marketing Monday. Since I've found that I really work better with longer blocks of time for each area, I've decided to devote the bulk of my Monday's to the things I put off the most: Marketing, Bookkeeping and Filing.

Well, since this is Tuesday, I can afford a little time to work on my art. Today I've painted a study for a landscape that I'll be working on. This western landscape measures 8" x 16" and is painted on 300 lb. Arches watercolor paper. I primed both sides of the paper with several coats of gesso. I did the initial block in using oil paints, but I went back painted on it with Holbein Duo Oils, which are water-soluble oils.

I purchased a small set of these paints years ago and never really liked them much. But as I'm trying new things, I dragged them out and dusted them off. I'm going to use them on several smaller paintings to give them a fair trial. This painting is still wet, I'll let you know how long it takes for it to dry. Used the Duo linseed oil and Artisan Fast Dry Medium with the Holbein Duo Oils to aid in color mixing. These paints are stiffer and a bit more sticky to paint with than traditional oil paints and will take some getting used to. I see that they now have a newer version, called Duo Elite. As the tubes I have are quite small - I may try and pick up a color or two of this brand and maybe another brand to compare. I'll let you know how I like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment