Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ceramic Paperclay Fox Sculpture

You may remember that I sculpted a small fox in oil-based clay. I'm still working on the wax pour of it for bronze. I decided that I wanted to make a larger version of this fox and sculpt it using a water-based clay for firing. Since Mile-Hi was out of the CT3 clay that I had planned on using, I opted to try this in water-based ceramic paperclay instead. I didn't do any measuring - I just dove into sculpting. While I did use crumpled paper for filling out the body, there was some distortion and I felt that there was too little clay in some areas and too much clay in others. So I cut this into pieces, hollowed out and reassemble before I completed the sculpting.

I was pleased to find that A) it was as much fun to sculpt the fox the second time around and B) I had no trouble enlarging the sculpture while keeping the same look and feel using a different medium. So, now it's drying in preparation for firing later.




2 comments:

  1. You know you love what you do when it's as much fun the second time around. Aren't we lucky to have these vocations? Looking forward to the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right Robin! It's a wonderful feeling to know that you enjoyed the journey more than the product. That's when you know you're on the right track.

    ReplyDelete